Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

A Change is Necessary for Me

I have been reading many blogs that have great ideas to motivate and make some changes to my lifestyle.  I am filled to the brim with all of these ideas, yet I am feeling like I keep climbing this hill, with no end in sight.


Yes, I am feeling frustrated and annoyed at myself for being a stick in the mud.  I am my own worse enemy.  I can undo all the good I have planned very easily, and I find myself doing this constantly.  Why?  Maybe I'm one of those people who can't imagine succeeding.  Maybe I can't stand to do anything if I can't do it very well.  That's how I feel about losing weight, running, and pretty much most everything else.  I know it's just the end-of-winter blahs, and that I will wake up one day and feel better.


But for now, I am stewing about many things, so I decided to try out a few things this week to take away that feeling of going 'round in circles.   One thing is to create a positive running journal, complete with words of motivation, pictures that inspire me, and looking at the things that I feel good about when I run. Pushing myself but not placing so much on my shoulders that  I feel bad when I don't manage that day to make my goal.  I cannot compare myself to others, and I have to keep reminding myself of that.  We all are on a different path, and I will get there at my own speed.


Another thing I'm going to work on this week is writing down what I want to accomplish this Spring.  Just stuff around the house that needs done, what I want to do with my garden, and money goals for things I want--like that Garmin and a new Mac.  The new Macs are the bomb and I am oh so envious of Bud for having one.  I am determined to earn that Garmin by June and the new computer soon after.  Can't wait to play with all the new bells and whistles on it.  And to pay cash for them--what a thrill that will be.   


Eating healthy has always been a problem for me.  I was a child that didn't eat veggies--mostly cause we never had fresh, only canned.  To this day, I will not eat canned veggies.  Yuck.  So, I am creating a lunch menu for work.  I have worked out 3-4 different salads to make that I can take to work for lunch.  My favorite so far is a variation on a Barefoot Contessa Cape Cod Salad.  I make my own dressing--which I prefer to store bought,  and knowing my lunch is waiting keeps me from eating other stuff.  Adding a bit of cheese, beans, or chicken will keep me full, but not feeling gross until I get home.  Cutting down on my coffee consumption is also on the list.  This is really hard for me, but I know I always feel less icky when I don't drink coffee.  I enjoy drinking tea, and I've been doing more of that lately, but have to bump it up.  I also don't drink coffee if I know I'm going to run, because it messes with my guts.  


These are small changes, but necessary for me to take steps to get myself out of a rut.  I am making plans for a fun trip late this Fall, and want to be at my best for it.  I'll be sharing my recipes and progress for the next few months.  Cross your fingers that I can make some healthy changes and turn my brain into a happy smiley 
orb of brilliance.

12 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed for you my friend. My sis n law's incident has made me do an abrupt change this past week, I am doing a wild rose cleanse kit, which so far I have lost 9 pounds of crap in my system. The eating plan on it is so healthy and awesome, I am just going to continue on with it when I am done. You well know, some times it just hard to try to find the right direction and rythmn in order to make the changes you want. Sounds like you have it all in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep us updated about how it's going! I really like how you've laid out what you want and how you're going to get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post Sue! These are great changes...keep them small and one at a time and you're so right about not comparing yourself to others! You can only be the best YOu! Awesome outlook! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone--you're all inspiring to me! Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever you're feeling down about running you can picture yourself running circles around me because I know you'd leave me in the dust!

    I'm not good about the eating healthy either. My will power when it comes to junk food is pretty weak. :( Good luck and keep thinking positive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great plan :) And now you've got a new goal to reach for: Disney 2012! I think I'm going to put Mickey Mouse's face on my debit card so I see it every time I'm about to buy something -another reminder to think AGAIN before making a purchase :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my book budget will be non-existent for this year in order to save for Disney. But it will be worth it! Last time I was there, I was about 8 or 9 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! The most important thing that you can do for yourself when trying to make some big changes is to be kind to your process. Allow for yourself to slip up every once in a while! Allow yourself some room to grow. Change is never entirely easy, but can be wonderful if you allow yourself the freedom and space to transform
    xx tash

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so wonderful to read about your plans for changes. I sincerely hope that everything goes according to your plan - GOOD LUCK!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. End of winter blahs---check! I've got 'em too. Blah.

    Setting goals and making changes are great ways to break the blahs. I think it sounds like you have a fantastic set of goals. You can do it! No question.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! You're all so sweet. Group hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! I wish I could summon up half the courage to set some solid goals like that. See, you've got me beat before even taking a step!

    I have to start eating better for sure. I'm tired of getting yelled at by the doctor. I was told I was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my Vitamin D and B-12 levels. Not good. (also not surprising when you live in a part of the country that's devoid of sunlight for so many months out of the year)

    We went to Disney a couple of years ago and I've been wanting like crazy to go back ever since. It had been well over 20 years since I was there. Great trip to be saving for!

    M.

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.