Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Sickly Sweet Ode To My Guy

The day is fast approaching that single women everywhere hate, and sometimes attached women hate, too:  Valentine's Day.  I've been fortunate to have spent the last 9 Valentine's Days celebrating with my sweetie, Bud.  His name really isn't Bud, I just call him that in respect for his request not to use his real name on my blog.  


Anyway, Bud and I had our second date on Valentine's Day, 2002.  I felt very uncomfortable having a date on that night, since we didn't really know each other and it had been two weeks since our first date.  ( I had to cancel the second one and reschedule).  He brought me white roses and took me out to a very nice restaurant for dinner.  It was the first time I'd ever gotten flowers from a man, and I found it very sweet that he picked white roses--no pressure on me to figure out what pink or red roses might have meant.  


We've had some great, happy times, and we've had some very sad times together, but through it all, we've stayed together over the bumpy patches.  We've traveled together, and he's taught me how to not be afraid to try something.  He has an incredible self-confidence that gives me the belief that I can do anything.  He's met my huge family, and taken it in stride (he has one sibling, I have 7) and isn't afraid of "girl stuff".  He's a man who's always on the move, always thinking, and doesn't stop until he falls asleep at night.  He works hard and always is the first to help others.  


So I am very lucky to have met this man--on a blind date, no less.  It really was true for me that when I had finally given up, and decided I would not meet anyone--that this was how my life was going to be; that I met Bud.  Someday, I hope we can completely share our lives together, and have that house in the country and raise some chickens ( Bud insists we will do this).  He's a country boy at heart, and luckily, I am happy to live that way.  Yes, we aren't perfect, and we do have our issues, but I can look at him and just feel the love ooze out of my mushy gushy heart.  


For all those people who may be alone this Valentine's Day, and dread it, remember:  it's just a day.  I got through many many years without someone in my life, and it's just a day.  Some people don't celebrate it, and some do.  Bud and I enjoy it, and I will always remember it as the night I got my first flowers at the ripe old age of 35 from a man who barely knew me, but had the sweetness in him to woo me with flowers.  


Well, it worked.  :)

3 comments:

  1. The details of our life together might be different, but hubby can still bring forth that same feeling of oozing love from MY mushy gushy heart as the one that you describe feeling when you look at Bud. (not his real name)

    We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day anymore, but I do try to get hubby (also not his real name) a card or make an extra special dinner. The days of jewelry, flowers and chocolate are behind us now. (who am I kidding? chocolate is a part of EVERY day!)

    Hope you two have a totally mushy, gushy and amazing day together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a mushy gushy day! I'm glad you found your Bud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Have a wonderful day with your men.

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.