Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Marinated Broccoli--A Tasty Summer Dish


Bud and I have planted broccoli in our garden again this year.  Last year, we made a few mistakes: we planted it all at once, and waited a little too long to harvest it.  So in anticipation of weeks of fresh broccoli, I've been searching for new ways to serve it.  We love to eat it roasted, but wanted a change that would go really well with summer grilling.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.

Marinated Broccoli

4 Tsp olive oil                          1 tsp honey
1 TB water                                1 garlic clove, minced
1 TB white wine vinegar           1/4 dash cayenne pepper
                                                                       1 1/2 Tsp lemon juice            
                                                            
                                                                       2 C fresh broccoli florets      2 TB chopped sweet red pepper ( I used a whole red pepper)

In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the first 8 ingredients; shake well.  In a small bowl, combine broccoli and red pepper; add dressing and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Serve with a slotted spoon.


Bud and I had this last week with grilled chicken.  It's got a great sweet-tart taste and a hint of cayenne pepper.  It got a thumbs up from both of us!  Perfect for a picnic or potluck since it has no mayo and is pretty darn healthy.

2 comments:

  1. I love allrecipes.com! You really can find a recipe for anything there. And this one definitely sounds like a great one - I'll be giving it a try! :) As for us, fresh peas with dinner tonight! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, sounds good! I do a similar thing (family don't like mayo much) with raw broccoli and cauliflower florets, baby tomatoes and olives. Looks pretty too! :D

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.