Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Exercise Update and One Habit at a Time

I read somewhere recently that you should only try and establish one habit at a time.  Instead of trying to eat better, exercise each week, and save more money, focus on creating just one into a habit you do.  Setting too many "goals" is a set up for failure and keeps you from really making an all out effort  since you're juggling so many things at a time.  And I am a really shitty juggler.

This made an impression on me, and I thought about all I was trying to do--and not doing very well.  I determined that the most important habit I was trying to cultivate was exercise.  With races looming in the future, and my weight somehow creeping up even more (dammit!), I know that exercise is crucial to my mental well-being and getting me ready for races that I do not want to just "get through".  

So my first step was buying a new pair of running shoes--my black and green Brooks Glycerin 10's I talked about on my previous post.  I was willing to step away from Asics because I have heard so many positive things about Brooks running shoes and quite frankly, my feet hurt in those darn Asics.  So I shelled out the money for the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever purchased.  But they are designed for what is important for my tootsies:  comfort, arch support, and cushion.  If my feet will feel even 20% less sore after running in them, I will be grateful for spending that money.  

Today was the first day I was able to get on the treadmill and run in them.  My running is still pretty crappy, and I am trying very hard not to think about all those times I could just get on the treadmill and run 3 miles before work, and go out on the trail and run 10 miles training for a half-marathon.  That was then, this is now.  My weight is certainly affecting my running.  I feel so heavy that I can tell it's wearing me out and I can't run very far.  But I am persisting, cause I know it will change--slowly, but surely.  I made myself stay on the treadmill for 35 minutes today, alternating walking and running, and upping my speed the last 1.5 miles to see how I felt running a 9:20 mile vs a 10:00 mile. I didn't make it to 3 miles, but I was close.  My shoes felt really good on my feet--I had on the right socks this time.  Monday I tried running and wore horrible socks.  Within a mile my ankle was bleeding onto my new shoes and I had to stop.  I never get blisters or anything like that while running so I was really annoyed!  But today they felt fine and there was no blood sacrifice made to the running gods.  I think I'm going to be very happy with these shoes.

I've also done 3 Body Pump classes.  This is going to be a weekly schedule effort to make 2 classes--my work schedule changes a bit every week so hitting a second class will take some planning.  I decided yesterday that I really do like the pump class--and I feel shaky and sore afterwards so I know I'm doing something right.  The key for me is to get in my runs before the class, cause afterwards I don't want to do anymore exercise.  I am done.  

So that's my focus for the next 6 weeks:  establishing a good exercise habit.  Knowing my sister Michelle is also working out to get ready for the races is a good motivation.  Having a half-marathon plan in place is also great, too.  

I cannot wait til March and outdoor running!  As I type, we have a big snow storm heading our way--I was so hoping we wouldn't get anymore snow, dang it.  But we need it desperately so we don't have a drought this summer and the farmers can grow our food--especially all those lovely veggies.  I'll take the snow and know that in a few short weeks I'll be making my way outdoors to run in the spring air.  It will feel wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.