Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

No 4th of July Race for Me

I will not be spending my early morning on the 4th of July running through the streets of Cedar Rapids.  Part of me is unhappy--I feel like a quitter!  And the other part of me (the sensible part--it's a very small part of me) realizes that I would be very unhappy and in pain trying to run.  I have been patiently waiting for my pulled muscle to heal, and it is taking its sweet time.  Then on top of that, I slipped in the tub last night and yanked my leg down to catch myself.  Yep.  This resulted in more pain.  That was the final straw for me in my decision to not run Wednesday.


If I was training for a big race, I would be beyond upset. Luckily, I am not in training for anything but the weekly "How Much Hummus Can A Human Being Eat?" Contest I have at my house every week.   As it is, I am disappointed that I can't run the race--and because I hurt myself doing something really stupid--and not even running when I did it!  Isn't that usually how these things happen?


So I'm going to get the bike out on Tuesday (next day off) and start biking the trails around Cedar Rapids.  Luckily, I have many choices of bike trails, so I won't get bored easily.  And I will go to the gym to do other weight-related activities that don't include my leg!  


What are your plans for the 4th?  I plan on making this delicious dessert/side dish because I've been dreaming about it for a week.  That means the only solution is to make it and eat some of it:


Strawberry pretzel dessert
It's a good thing this makes a big pan, cause I usually will eat half of the pan.  It's seriously addictive.  And perfect for a hot summer day.  








8 comments:

  1. sad face that you are still having pain. :( you are wise to not try to race this week. I hope you are feeling better quick!

    that dessert - wow! looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely bummed it's taking this long to heal. I guess that's part of getting older! And your kids would love this dessert--and it's easy to make.

      Delete
  2. I think you're being smart by skipping the race, you wouldn't want to make it worse. I have the same contest at my house, I love hummus, actually I am obsessed by it, I spread it on pretty much everything. That dessert looks delicious, is it difficult to make? Maybe I'll google it.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with humus! And the dessert is easy to make, Alex. It's a good combo of salty, sweet, and cream-cheesey.

      Delete
  3. You are smart to not to try and run. And it is going to be so hot and hard to breathe- even in the morning so that's another good reason not to run.
    I think I am going to smoke a turkey.
    Dessert will probably be something blueberry since they are ripening right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth: I am glad I dont' have to run in that heat. Even at 7 AM it's no fun to run in the humidity. I am so glad we got so much rain on Friday--what a crazy storm.

      Have fun with those blueberries--I eat them by the bowlful.

      Delete
    2. It was nuts. We lost some good size tree branches and some siding. The weather service didn't even issue a warning for Jasper Co. and the winds were so strong. The rain was very welcome though.

      Delete
  4. Good call on not running. It's just not worth it to delay healing time. And REALLY good call on the dessert - that looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.