Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Yum Yum Ribs

My ribs turned out great!  I used a dry rub recipe I found in Paula Deen's new cookbook Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible and it was sweet and spicy with a nice back heat to it.  My family chowed down on those ribs and they were gone in the blink of an eye.  I have never made "the real deal" ribs before, and I will certainly make them more often after this experience.  It is so easy to do, and I especially liked Paula Deen's option for oven cooking, since I did not have time to watch them over a grill for hours.  Just put 'em in a roasting pan with a little bit of water, cover, and bake for a few hours.  


I neglected to take pictures because I was running around like crazy making food in my kitchen for our cookout.  My house smelled sooo good with the ribs in the oven.  I'm not a big handler of raw meat, but I managed to not gross myself out Friday night while preparing the ribs, and I rubbed the dry rub mix over them so it had a very long time to sit and "mix" with the ribs before Bud put them in the oven Saturday afternoon.


Saturday was one busy day--working at my Mom's house to get a few things done for the winter, and meeting some resistance.  Bud once again came when I called, and using his charm and boundless energy saved the day and got things done.  I am used to his drive and energy, so I'm not surprised at what he can accomplish, but it was the first time some of my family saw him in action, and they were speechless.  He is a whirlwind!


Today is gutter day. My brother-in-law is coming over to help hold the ladder while I climb and clean out my gutters, and finish putting the gutter guards on them so I don't have to climb that damn ladder again!  It is a two person job due to the angle of my driveway and where the gutters on the front of my house are located.   I feel like I should have mountain climbing gear when I do this.  The driveway looks awfully hard from up high.  I'm hoping to get in a quick run this afternoon if the gutter cleaning goes quickly.  Otherwise, I'm going to do my last long run either Monday or Tuesday.  I took a 3 mile run on Friday in my old shoes with the new insoles and they felt great--no aches and pains.  


What Fall food are you making this week?  I would love to make an apple cake.  I made apple crisp again yesterday, and it was delish.  Perfect with a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not big on ribs and thankfully neither is hubby, but yours sound pretty good. I would love to make a pie like my mom used to make, but I'm afraid I don't know how. It's red peppers today, and maybe some chicken strips, not really fall food, but it's still warm out here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ribs. Yummy!
    It is getting cold.
    Yesterday I made chicken stew with dumplings.
    Today I was busy making more tomato juice so I just made sausage gravy and biscuits with hashbrowns for supper.
    I think one night soon I will be making a pot of chili. That sounds really good.
    I love apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.