Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Getting Closer, Getting Nervous

I've never attended a race where there were 23,000 participants, and I've never gotten on a plane to fly to one, either.  And very rarely has Bud not been with me.  But all that will happen in just a few short weeks, and I am getting nervous!


I found out a few days ago that the start line appears to be much farther from my hotel than I thought.  And Savannah has shuttles that will take runners to the area near the start line.  It is kinda crappy that I have to pay $18 for a one way ticket there, but at least I know I'll get there in plenty of time to find my corral and wait for everything to begin.  Needless to say, I will not expect my sisters to wake up and go with me at 6 AM.  I will be on my own until I see them somewhere along the route (hopefully).


This means printing off lots of maps, turn by turn directions of the race, and where the "family" meeting area will be.  Plus making sure we all have our cell phones on!  And setting up a text message so they can see where I am along the route--and so can Bud from home.


I received my lovely YMX blue tribal running shirt the other day, and they very kindly included running sleeves that match.  It's a beautiful shirt, and I can't wait to wear it.  Thanks Bobbi for picking my name in your giveaway!


I am having issues with the shoes I bought a few weeks ago--and the insoles that I bought with them.  After a few runs, my legs, hips, and feet were really sore.  My feet always hurt after around 10 miles, but this was happening after only 5 miles.  I went to a local running store to get the insoles I usually have in my running shoes, only to find out they don't carry them anymore!  Aggh!  Panic!!  But they directed me to a local pharmacy that did carry them, and I was able to purchase a pair.  I'm going back to my old shoes, which still have plenty of miles left on them.  I just have to somehow repair the two small holes my toes have managed to create in the tops of my shoes.  Hey, no one will be looking at my feet, right?


This month has been incredibly busy, and my work schedule has been kinda all over the place.  It's made it difficult to get in much running.  I've only managed one 3 mile hill run, and a 5 mile "speed it up" run this past week.  I hope to get out today with my old shoes and new insoles and get in an 8 mile run before work.  Then one more long run next week--maybe Sunday, since on my other day off the high will be 49 degrees and a 40% chance of rain!  Eeek.  I would like to have this long run later in the week, but I work the rest of the week and won't be able to get in a very long run after work without running in the dark--which I can't do thanks to my horrible eye sight.  Oh, and fear of running alone at night!


I've entered the world of podcasts.  I have one posted, and I will soon be on iTunes!  You can check it out on my other blog bookalicious babe.  I hope to have a new podcast every two weeks.  It's about books and what I'm reading.  Another reason to stop training for races--I will have time to do this and so many other things I've been putting off for a long time.  I will still run, just not as much and no big races--local 5k's and anything else under 10 miles is my plan for next year.  


What's on your agenda for this weekend?  I am seeing family this weekend, and cleaning out gutters.  I know--I can hardly contain my excitement over those gutters.  I'm also making a bunch of food for a cookout on Saturday night.  My first experience with ribs--if I remember to take pictures, and they turn out, I will post 'em!  

3 comments:

  1. Going away to run a race! Very cool! GOod for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your motivation. What a wonderful adventure going to a far away race. I am sure you will do great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra and Mynx! Mynx, I would love to get on a plane and race where you live :)

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.