It was an earth-shattering moment today--I'm sure you felt the earth shift just a bit around 1:30 Central Time: I went to the gym. I had to confess to one of the personal trainers, (Wendy) that no, I hadn't been going early in the morning, I just hadn't been going at all. Guilt times ten!
I've realized a few things from my visit to the gym today:
1. I am pathetically out of shape. Really bad.
2. I can run again! But, referring to the above statement, I can't run very far without wimping out. I can't believe I ever trained and ran a marathon. It seems like eons ago. I have much work to do!
3. The spinning classes, as explained by Wendy, are fun and not packed with people, so I should go.
4. There's a mini-YMCA that opened near my house that has super cool new bikes that have screens so you can program a bike ride on paths around the world. Sweet! And the handles move, so you feel like you're really riding an actual bike. I will be checking out this new mini-Y before everyone knows about it and it gets crowded.
5. I inexplicably crave McDonald's after working out. Have no clue why. Just do.
6. I don't enjoy running on a treadmill. It's like parsley to me: I think if I try it enough, I'll like it. But no, I don't. But I'll run on the treadmill through the winter months anyway. However, no parsley, thank you.
7. At home, the pumpkin bread I made had a huge hole in the middle, and wasn't baked all the way through. Now I know that adding a tablespoon of baking soda, instead of a teaspoon, will result in bread with no middle. Into the trash after a taste--will try again later this week. It tasted really good, just looked like someone put their fist in the middle of it.
So I feel good after hitting the gym, but my performance was sub-par. Just getting down there, and putting on my work out clothes made me feel less sluggish and happier. Will I get down to the gym before Christmas? Who knows. If I plan it, I will certainly not do it. I will be one of those people in January who make a huge effort to kick start the year by setting a new habit--and that habit will not be eating my weight in food! Spin classes will be on my list for sure. My only hope is that I don't fall off the bike.