Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

I Miss My Running!

Seriously, this is really bumming me out!  I haven't run for almost two weeks.  I didn't realize that I ran some miles every week pretty much all year.   In the winter, it's the treadmill at the Y.  As soon as the snow melts, and it hits 45-50 degrees outside, I'm out running, breathing in that sharp cold air.  It feels so good to get outside after a long winter.  Not a lot of miles, but even just a few make me feel better.  I delude myself into thinking  I'm pushing back Mother Nature's time machine!

I checked out some hamstring injury websites, and all said the same thing:  it takes time.  Sometimes, 6+ weeks.  Well dammit.  My half marathon is in 4 weeks.  Keeping off the leg, and not doing anything strenuous was the overwhelming advice.  Gentle stretching.  No lunges, crazy weight lifting, or anything that could set back the healing process.  Easy biking, swimming, and stretching.  The Y has started new Spinning classes, and I would love to try one next week, but I'm a little hesitant.  Does anyone have any advice?  Should I wait longer?  I've decided to wait another week before trying a gentle jog.  Been stretching with the towel, and I can feel the difference in my right and left legs; namely, my right leg doesn't hurt, and my left does!  I also found my receipt for my latest pair of running shoes, and saw the date:  March 31st.  Whoa!  I think it's time for a new pair.

My wish for a Garmin Forerunner 110 has been put on hold.  Without running much at all, and cold weather approaching, I really won't need it until the Spring.  More time to save that cash!  It will be something to look forward to after--let's all pray-- a mild winter.

So for all my fellow runners, keep running!   All the running blogs I follow have amazing runners, and people who are setting goals and breaking through every week.  I'm thrilled for all of you.  And my friend C-Joy, who is training to walk her first half-marathon; I am so proud of her and her recent 10 mile walk.  Looking foward to Des Moines next month, no matter if I hobble, walk, or trot to the finish line.  We'll have pictures to share!

Here's a pretty picture to keep  us all cheery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.