Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

YMCA Yearly Challenge Over; Another One Begun

I belong to the YMCA and every year, from August 1st to July 31st of the next year, they have a challenge for members.  You submit your miles that you've run, walked, biked, or cardio machined your way through and they keep track for you and let you know how many miles you've accumulated.  It also works for swimming and any exercise classes you do.  You can do  any of these activities at the Y, or on your own.  The point is to keep you moving and motivated.  At the end of the year, if you've reached the miles required, you get either a T-shirt of a certificate of accomplishment.

I kept track of my running, biking, and some classes I started after January of this year.  My total biking miles were 130.5 and my total running miles were 230.6.  Unfortunately, to get a t-shirt I have to run at least 500 miles; it's more than that for the biking.  But, I made the first tier of mileage, so I get a certificate.  I took 26 classes before one was canceled for the summer, and work hours changed so I couldn't make the two other classes I took after work.  I may take up a class again; I'd like to try kick-boxing.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the miles added up.  I'm starting fresh with my mileage tracking today for the Y, so we'll see where I'm at this time next year.  I'm shooting for that darn t-shirt!  I got one in 2008; that was the year of the flood.  The Y was completely engulfed by flood waters; destroying the main floor, the pool,  locker rooms, the basketball and racquetball courts.  It was closed for 3 months.  So the Y graciously gave anyone who was close to the miles a t-shirt as a thanks for being patient and keeping up the exercise where ever we could.

Today I ran my 4 mile "tempo" run.  It sounds easy:  you run your first and last miles at your regular pace, and the two in between at a slower pace.  Well, since I run slow anyway, it was kinda hard to run any slower!  But  my friend Mr. Muggy was present, so that had me stopping and walking a few times--I'll take that as my slower pace!  I'm noticing my breathing is finally getting back to where it needs to be, so I'm not even noticing it.  I'm also seeing myself running longer distances between pooping out and walking.  This is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.