Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Lousy Run to Close Out the Week

Yuck.  Bad.  Not happy.  I was supposed to run 6 miles today.  I got up too late to run before I  went to the farmer's market downtown with my sister and her family, and then went home.  It was cool and cloudy; looking good.  Then it rained.  Then I fell asleep on the couch.  When I woke up, it was around 1 pm and very sunny outside.  Cue the humidity.

I bought a hydration belt the other day and was so excited to try it out.  I mixed up some Heed from Hammer, and filled my bottle.  Drove to a new place to run which I was told was a two mile loop, but when I looked it up on the trail info website, it's really only 1.6 miles.  So, had to recalculate my running--should do four trips around to get to my 6 and a little over.

So, I started out, after calling Bud and letting him know where I was and that I would call him back after my run.  It was a new place, and I just wanted someone to know where I was, since it is not on my list of regular running places.  I ran about 20 feet before my hydration belt began to do a dance around my middle.  I tried to tighten it, but the only way it would stay in one spot was if I ran with one hand holding it down.  The sun was blazing, and I was really peeved and disappointed with my hydration belt.

 I made it around 3 times, stopping to walk and adjust the belt continuously.  It stays in place if you walk, so I may gift it to C-Joy for her to use in her half marathon.  It's great for walking, but not for running.  I'm not happy, since I had decided this would keep me from stopping at water stops during my races, and help me improve my time.  All it did was slow me way down and annoy me.  And it made me feel lopsided.

Back to square one.  I will have to just suck it up and grab water at the water stops like I always have done.  I really have no idea how to carry my drink with me comfortably.  I am also very unhappy that I didn't complete my 6 miles.  I just gave up, which I usually don't do, but I had just had it!  Maybe it's from running three days in a row, in the heat, and not when I wanted to, but when I could.  I can only hope that when it begins to cool down, my running will improve since my body has completely forgotten what it's like to run without major heat and humidity.  I'm glad I'm not training for a full marathon, cause I would have serious thoughts about dropping out.  What a summer for running.  I'm pretty sure many people across the country feel the same way I do.

After going to Target to get some things, I came home.  Bud called me.  I forgot to call him.  He was ready to drive over and find my car to make sure I was ok.  I feel like a crumb.  Oops.

Taking tomorrow off; it's supposed to be 90 degrees with the humidity climbing again this week.  Only had one day of lovely weather.
Ten mile run to accomplish; my goal is to do it on Tuesday, my other day off.  Going to get up and be out by 6 A.M. to accomplish it before it gets too uncomfortable.

On the bright side, the Sac and Fox Trail has been repaired from the 2008 flood, so  I am going to go there Sunday afternoon and ride my bike--get some cross training in for the week.

Less than a month away from the half marathon!  Getting a little nervous, although I am definitely better prepared than I was in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.