Follow by Email

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting Through The Ten Miler

This week's long run is ten miles.  I had planned on running it on Tuesday, but after running a mere four miles on Monday in the still miserable heat and humidity, I was in a quandry.  I had to work Monday night, and I was just wiped out all night.  Couldn't cool down, felt just drained.  I knew Tuesday it was supposed to be really awful again, and I was worried it would be too hard.  So, I asked my manager if I could take off today as a day of vacation and run my ten miler then.  I work the rest of the week, and there's no way I am running ten miles after working all day!

Of course, today the weather is pretty much the same as Tuesday!  I overslept this morning--meant to be out at 6 am but didn't hit the trail until after 7 am.  I had a bottle of water, and a 24 oz drinking bottle full of Heed drink and two Hammer gels--one in banana, one espresso.  Luckily, there is also a drinking fountain at this trail.  

I made is 1.5 miles with no drinking or walking. By then I was already dripping sweat.  It was gonna be a long ten miles!
I got to mile five alternating running and walking, with a sweet lady stopping me on the trail to tell me I shouldn't run in the heat, but walk.  I stopped and had my espresso Hammer gel--really pretty good--and drank some Heed.  My legs had started to cramp, which was a new experience for me, after only five miles!  Not only were my calves cramping, but my hamstrings, too.  This is familiar to me when I'm running in a marathon, but never after only five miles.  

So I took it slow, running 2/10ths of a mile, then walking 1/10th, then running again.  All of the other runners and walkers quickly left, and I was pretty much alone in the park on the trail--except for the dude mowing the park.

I got to mile nine, and I was ready to quit.  I almost called Bud to have him tell me to finish because he's great about pushing me to keep going.  But then I realized it would require me to stop, fish out my car key, and walk to the car to call him.  It would take too much time!  I could be half done by then!  So, I just imagined Bud telling me to get my ass in gear, and that did the trick.  That, and going to my happy place in my mind, along with Michael Jackson (PYT), Queen, (We are the Champions), and ABBA (Dancing Queen).  They have no idea how much they helped me.  

I made it!  I'm looking forward to next week, when the humidity goes way down, along with the temps.  Lows in the 50's at night.  Oh my golly, to run and be chilled in the beginning.  I have forgotten what that's like.  The half marathon is in 3 weeks.  Next week is an eleven miler and hill work.  I can't wait to see if the cooler weather improves my time, cause quite frankly, it sucks.  I think a senior citizen with a walker could kick my butt on the half marathon.  

Now I'm home, after sitting in a cold bath (and shrieking for a little bit), getting cleaned up, and eating some salty potato chips.  I will not go outside again today.  I'm going to my island and reading.


  1. Woohoo go you! I'm already enjoying the cooler weather you so kindly provided for our return. I didn't get a long walk in this past week so can I rely on you to tell me to get my butt in gear this week? Thanks :D

  2. Get your butt in gear, Missy! I am contemplating getting my 11 miler done tomorrow morning. We shall see! Hope you had a wonderful time off.


Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.