Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Cooking Bucket List: Gazpacho

I've knocked one recipe off my Cooking Bucket List!  Gazpacho is definitely a refreshing cold soup to eat during the dog days of summer.  There are so many variations, I was a little lost deciding which one to pick.  I think you put just about anything in it you want--whatever tastes good.  The key ingredient, of course, is tomatoes.  My friend Ty shared his recipe with me:


4 cups chopped peeled tomatoes ( do 'em yourself, or buy canned tomatoes)
1 cup tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbs. snipped basil or one tsp dried basil
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs lemon or lime juice
1 small clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp Tabasco
salt to taste

So, I assembled the ingredients:
Then, I began to chop.  It really doesn't take much time at all--I used a big bowl because I just didn't know how much this would make:
I didn't have any tobasco sauce, so I improvised.  Umm....I think I squirted too much of this in:

Holy Moses!  HOT is the word.  I also used Spicy Hot V-8 juice, but didn't taste the kick.  That is, until I added the hot chili sauce.  Note to self:  use the chili sauce with caution!  I'm glad Bud wasn't expecting to try this--there is no way he would eat it!  After sitting in the fridge for 4 hours, I made some garlic bread, and added something cool to my gazpacho:  a dollop of sour cream:

I added some fresh chopped basil--it gave the gazpacho another great flavor.  And took my taste buds away  from the fact that they were screaming from the chili sauce.  So, I consider this a successful foray into the world of gazpacho.  Next time, I'll watch the chili sauce, and maybe add a few more chopped veggies.  It made more than enough for two; I'll be eating it for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sue thanks for the shout out. Lest the denizens of the intertubes, taking the rare break to lift their World of Warcraft bleared eyes up from their keyboards, think that I'm some kind of culinary genius (I am, but that's another matter) I want to give credit where it's due. I lifted this from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. Of course I never thought to put a BP's* worth of chili sauce in, but hey diff'rent strokes eh?

    *A BP is a new unit of measure equaling a whole f____ing lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new measurement. And thanks for letting people know it's from BHG. Tasty stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.