Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dalai Lama Day


Today the Dalai Lama came to Iowa and I got probably the only chance I may have to sit in the audience at the University Of Northern Iowa and listen to him speak.

It was a beautiful day, people were all very nice and I didn't have to take my purse back to the car thanks to a very kind security guard.  This did not sit well with the lady who came out before I came in, telling me I would have to take my purse to the car since it was the same size as her purple monstrosity.  I decided to just wait until I got up to the security gates, and politely asked if my purse fit the allowable size into the auditorium.  Guess what?  It did.  And guess what else?  The lady with the purple purse had come back and was standing next to me when I got the good news.

She was the only unpleasant person there today. :}

I went with a lovely group of ladies, and we had, quite frankly, awesome seats.  Right on the floor, row 5 and dead center.  We could take pictures, so I took a lot of pictures of the Dalai Lama as a blur, as a man with arms moving around, and turning away just as I clicked my camera.  I did manage to get a few pictures, so I am happy.

It was an interesting panel discussion on violence in the world today.  The Dalai Lama's message is quite simple:  we are all human beings, and should show compassion and love to each other regardless of religion, race, class, or country.  We are human beings first; the rest comes after.  He came across as a very human, modest, incredibly decent man.


So that was my day.  I bought another set of mala beads, some incense, and enjoyed the experience--it was a very nice day off!  Tomorrow, back to the madness!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to go! A glorious day to talk about peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great experience - remember to get a pamper with the incense, breathe deeply and think great thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Did you know comments taste like chocolate mousse? I looooove chocolate mousse--leave a comment and feed me.